THIS IS A BIG DEAL.
First. Let's talk a little about the word "beauty." Webster's definition of beauty: "the qualities in a person or a thing that give pleasure to the senses or the mind." I actually really like this. It doesn't say it has to be physical. It doesn't say it has to be appealing to the opposite sex or another human being. It says that beauty is what brings pleasure to the senses or the mind. THE MIND. The mind can dictate beauty. YOUR mind can dictate beauty. ((Notice it doesn't say anything about SOCIETY or OTHER PEOPLE dictating beauty)). So let's build up your knowledge a little bit. Your knowledge on clothes, on make up, on hair, on fitness, on health, on your spirit.... Let's strengthen that BEAUTIFUL mind of yours, and let these Pros share some of their tips and tricks with you, you beautiful little thing!
Let's start by saying that while typing this post I'm full out jamming to my girl Meghan Trainor's song Close Your Eyes, which you can buy on iTunes by clicking the title of the song. Could there be a better theme song to go along with a Beauty Tip post? AHHHHITHINKNOT.
- "To make your legs appear their absolute best, invest in a great nude heel or wedge and wear with skirts. Instantly makes your legs appear longer. No ankle straps either so that you don't cut your eyeline short! And when wearing ankle boots, which are all the rage the last couple years with skirts, be sure the bootie stops at the smallest part of your leg for the most flattering look."
- "Invest in proper undergarments. You will look so much slimmer and really make the most of your assets if you are wearing the right underthings. The right size and shape bra for your outfit can make you look perkier and stand taller. And DON'T be afraid of Spanx! Spanx are the best supporting actress at ALL red carpet events! Even for the slimmest of gals, Spanx can smooth out all the bumps, giving you the best silhouette possible! And as far as underwear--NO PANTY LINE IS A GOOD PANTY LINE. Get yourself some Hanky Panky thongs or the Target brand nude thong is only $6, and lies perfectly smoothly and doesn't catch on fabric."
- "Add a little sparkle. One of my favorite quotes is from Oscar Wilde: You can never be overdressed or overeducated. In my book you can also hardly ever be overaccessorized. What better time to bring out those blinging earrings!"
- "Always eat healthy (at least the day of your event) so you feel your best. Often what you put in your mouth can really affect your mood and the confidence you feel for yourself! I suggest a protein-rich breakfast of a scrambled egg white omelet packed with veggies, some wheat toast, and coffee to get ya going! And DON'T FORGET TO EAT. Not eating can be almost as bad as overeating! A steady intake of healthful snacks throughout the day like raw almonds, string cheese and lots of veggies (plus drinking water!) will keep your mood soaring and keep you from feeling bloated on your big night."
spokeswoman/designer for fashionABLE, a non-profit organization creating sustainable business
for women in Ethiopia by training them to make high-end scarves. Learn more about the
organization and how you can get involved, check out their website!
- "Go to a salon to get your lashes tinted! You can also do this at home. It's a GREAT way to make your lashes look fuller and better with or without any mascara! IT'S THE JAM!"
- "Latise REALLY WORKS!!"
- "My favorite lip stains are from a line called LimeCrime." (the lips you see above LimeCrime's Suedeberry stain)
- "Lash primers help A LOT before mascara for all day wear and fullness."
- "If you're a MAC girl, DO NOT throw away your empty containers!!!! 6 empties = a free lipstick or eye shadow!!!"
- "First thing is to STOP FEELING GUILTY and to start having fun! Make fitness fun instead of something that you feel like you "should do." We all know working out is healthy but it is meant to make us feel GOOD."
- "Actually schedule time for fitness. And schedule it with a friend. Say something like 'Hey meet me for the 5:30 class at GetFit615.' That way you gain a bit of accountability. AND it's an easy way to schedule time with friends!"
- "A great way to end a work out is to get a juice or smoothie at the Turnip Truck!"
- "I recommend getting gear that you want to wear so then when you put it on, you'll feel cute and want to go get sweaty in it!"
Check out GetFit615's website and blog. Also, read Kate's newest post on
the top places to get workout gear in Nashville! They also sell some pretty awesome work out
gear seen above, so sport the GetFit615 logo even if you live outside of our fabulous area code!
- "For smooth, bouncy waves, curl your hair with an iron that is smaller than you want the end result to be. Spray with a brushable, working hairspray, then gently brush in long strokes with a boar bristle paddle brush. The Vivienne Mackinder VM Oval 9 Row Brush is one of my go-to brushes on set and at home - it's affordable, compact, and gives you gorgeous hair."
- "In staying with the brushing idea... get in the habit of brushing your hair before you go to bed with a natural boar bristle brush. It smooths the cuticle and also spreads your natural hair oil from scalp to ends, which naturally protects and hydrates your hair! (Especially with winter stressed hair from hats, snow, updos, tangly locks). It's also FANTASTIC for a great smooth easy blow dry! (Use cool heat at the end to finish, slew the cuticle , and maximize shine)."
- "A Winter MUST - commit to regular hair cuts with a stylist you trust to make sure your style always looks polished. I recommend every 4-6 weeks and in between, do weekly treatments (I love Aveda Dry Remedy Moisturizing Oil and Caviar Anti-Aging Over Night Hair Rescue). Beth Minardi also has an AMAZING Fortifying Pre Wash Therapy and all of her shampoo/conditioners are luxury top of the line. Taking care of your hair between hair cuts is important for everyone, but especially on darker tones bc split ends add dullness to the bottom that you can actually see."
- "Another Winter MUST - invest in your winter shade of foundation, blush, and lipstick or gloss. As your complexion changes, you should adjust the shades you use. I just learned that Sephora has a foundation matching tool you can check out at your local Sephora!
- "The main rule I live by is alterations, alterations, alterations. It's ALWAYS important to have your clothes fit to perfection. You don't have to spend money on designer pieces. You could buy a $25 dress from Forever 21 and by altering it to fit you perfectly, it'll look like you spent $250 or even $2500 on it. Make cheaper pieces look more expensive and custom with a little alteration!"
- "I think the most important staple I have in my closet is a good V-neck T-shirt. They will go with almost anything! Dress it up with a skirt and blazer or wear it alone with jeans and add some cool statement pieces of jewelry! I like to spend a little more money on a decent one at the beginning of a season that will last for a while. The 3 best colors to have are white, black and grey!"
- "KNOW YOUR COLORS. It's important to buy clothes that compliment your skin tone. Knowing your body and what works best is important! Don't try to pull off yellow just because you like the color."
- "If you feel uncomfortable in what you're wearing you most likely look uncomfortable. Confidence always wins."
See Shaina's work for Little Big Town's artist Kimberly Schlapman in a recent spread in
People Magazine or in Southern Living. Also, follow her on insta!!
- "After taking a good sweaty yoga class for at least an hour, just rinse your face with cool water! Your sweat releases toxins and brings a new glow to your skin. The cool water is a nice little refresher to cleanse your face and cool your body temperature down after a great yoga session. Keep it simple and natural."
- "Next, apply coconut oil under your eyes. This will bring your skin a great brightness. You can do this at any point during the day! Not only does it boost your glow, but you feel like you're on the beach with the faint and subtle smell of coconuts!"
- "ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS stay hydrated with plenty of fresh water throughout the day! There are ENDLESS benefits."
Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of the beauty experts that contributed their words of wisdom for this post! Amber, Tarryn, Kate, Shaina, Jillian, Emma... you are all so so wonderful and I'm honored to call you my dear friends.
Hope you enjoyed!
Try it any of these tips?! Let me know!